Biography

I started cross country skiing at the age of seven. I was asked at my local daycare in Pakenham, ON if I would like to try the sport by Heinz Niederhauser, who soon became my first coach. I started skiing and racing in the National Capital Division and loved it. Every weekend there was a different race somewhere and a chance to meet up with all my friends and team mates.

When I was 14, I started racing the Ontario Cup series races. I qualified for the Ontario team that year and represented the province at my first national championships, held in Canmore, AB.

I spent 2 seasons training with the National Team Development Centre in Thunder Bay, ON before I made the move to Canmore last spring to train as a member of the newly formed Alberta World Cup Academy team. I am now starting my second season on the Academy.

With 2 world junior championships, an under 23 world championship, and four world cup races under my belt I am looking forward to another great racing season that will be filled with new adventures and hopefully some new opportunities that will lead me closer to achieving my goal of representing Canada at the Olympics.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Alberta World Cup Academy

I have made the move from NTDC Thunder Bay to Canmore, AB where I am now part of the Alberta World Cup Academy team. It is a new program this year that has attracted many high performance athletes from Alberta, BC, and Ontario.

I am currently sitting at our kitchen table in Silver Star, BC where we are having our first training camp of the year! Silver Star is just outside of Vernon. We are at a fairly high altitude here so there is still tons of snow for us to ski on. It is so incredible to be skiing in May. I have never skied at this time of year before. It is warm and sunny so I don’t have to ever worry about getting cold. Actually the conditions are kind of like the what the European conditions are like all winter.

Today I skied at Sovereign Lake Nordic and the conditions were unbelievable. We can use our good skis and everything! My heart rate was pretty high from the altitude and all of the traveling in the last couple of days, so I decided to just ski for an hour and a half but loved every minute of it. I did a lot of technique work and now my butt is really sore!

The new team is awesome. I don’t think that I have ever been on a team with so many high caliber women to train with. It is really amazing to get to see how they train and learn from them. I am really excited to be here and can’t wait to see how this season turns out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Katie.

Enjoy the new team--what a group!

Love,

Dad & Mom

Thomsen D'Hont said...

KATE BRENNAN!!!! yay, i finally found your new blog! sick...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.