Biography

I started cross country skiing at the age of seven. I was asked at my local daycare in Pakenham, ON if I would like to try the sport by Heinz Niederhauser, who soon became my first coach. I started skiing and racing in the National Capital Division and loved it. Every weekend there was a different race somewhere and a chance to meet up with all my friends and team mates.

When I was 14, I started racing the Ontario Cup series races. I qualified for the Ontario team that year and represented the province at my first national championships, held in Canmore, AB.

I spent 2 seasons training with the National Team Development Centre in Thunder Bay, ON before I made the move to Canmore last spring to train as a member of the newly formed Alberta World Cup Academy team. I am now starting my second season on the Academy.

With 2 world junior championships, an under 23 world championship, and four world cup races under my belt I am looking forward to another great racing season that will be filled with new adventures and hopefully some new opportunities that will lead me closer to achieving my goal of representing Canada at the Olympics.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Racing With the Flu

Yesterday was a rough day for me. I woke up at 1:30am with another stomach bug. I had a very sore stomach and was able to get back to sleep after a couple of hours but woke up in the morning still feeling like I could hurl at any moment.

I made it to the race site telling myself that I would allow myself to race as long as I didn't throw up and was able to stay on my feet during warm-up. Warm-up proved to be slow but possible, so I burped my way to the start line, did a few running sprints, and went for it.

Racing with the flu was a weird feeling... almost an out of body experience. My brain was so focused on keeping everything in equilibrium that I hardly even noticed the chorus of cheers coming from the crowd lining the course or the advise that our coaches were shouting. I just knew that I had to race 3 laps of the course, keep up a pretty solid pace, keep from red lining early in the race, and not let anything else get under my skin because I was just barely holding on. So I blocked everything else out and just raced. Me, my skis, and the snow.

Classic skiing comes pretty naturally to me (I know, I know, cocky, but it's kinda true) so it was pretty easy for me to just put my body into auto pilot and ski. I finished the race in 22nd, walked back to the wax room and lay on the floor until someone could drive us home. I made it home, climbed the stairs to my room, walked right into the bathroom and puked.

This wasn't exactly how I had planned to race yesterday, but it just goes to show you that if you want something bad enough you can do it under any circumstances. Hopefully my body will be feeling a lot better in tomorrow's 15km pursuit!

3 comments:

Rob (kanata) said...

Nice WC result 40th & u beat an olympic/world cup champ & an olympic silver medalist!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate!
I hope the flu season is behind you.
Keep up the awesome work and have a great ski month!
All the best from back home!
Liz :)

Anonymous said...

belife is more powerful then proof! keep it up!
Business Change of Address Letter